CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

2.14.2011

The day BEFORE Valentine's day

Today is Valentine's day. Hearts. Pink and red. Cupid. A day of love. However, yesterday I felt more love than I think I may have ever experienced in my life.

You see... this eight-year-old boy is my cousin. Second cousin if you want to get technical.


The week before Thanksgiving, he went home sick from school. Less than 24 hours later he was fighting leukemia. Our family brought Thanksgiving to the University of Iowa Hospital cafeteria.

Yesterday a benefit was held for him and his family in my home town organized by a few of his teachers at my alma mater. One teacher raised $1400 by raffling off chances to cut his shoulder length hair, which was featured on the local news. Held at the church I attended as a kid, the confirmation class organized the breakfast as one of their service projects.

I posted about the benefit on my Facebook page a couple of times and the response was amazing! Friends from all over where buying raffle tickets, donating silent auction items, and contributing to the fund established at the bank.

Yesterday, I looked around Xavier's benefit and saw nothing but love. Fitting for the day before Valentine's.

0 comments: